Tuesday, March 6, 2007

fun in the sun

I spent more time outside this weekend than I have in a longgggggg time. It was awesome. Since I don't have any classes on Fridays, I headed down to the beach at Glenelg with a handful of people. Most of the other Americans also worked out their schedules to not have classes on Fridays so that they could travel if they wanted, so we had a pretty good sized group. The water felt amazing! And I stopped being able to touch the sea floor before I stopped being able to see it, it was so clear. Doesn't happen too often on the Atlantic coast.

Then on Saturday, some of the guys from college (Jimmy, Russell, Jeff, and Bing) had a scrimmage for their soccer team, the Adelaide Blacks. Brittany and I headed down there to enjoy the nice weather and cheer them on. And of course it's always a bonus to avoid doing school work for just a bit longer. That night we played an intense game of Monopoly. I lost pretty handily, although two people did go out before me, so it wasn't too bad. Fun times though.

Sunday marked the beginning of the Intercollegiate Cup with tennis. The Cup is between the five major undergrad residential colleges here in Adelaide (Lincoln, St. Ann's, St. Mark's, Aquinas, and Flinders Hall). So I got up bright and early to go cheer our team. Lauren and Sarah beat the 1st girls from St. Ann's, which was the first match Lincoln had won in tennis in about 3 years! Go team! Our 1st boys team almost won a couple of their matches, going down to the wire twice. Lincoln is generally pretty bad at tennis, so we were thrilled with coming in 4th in the event (by beating Flinders 3-2). Way to go team for not starting out last!

The Cup keeps going this week with swimming on Thursday. We usually do pretty well in the swimming competition, and our teams have been training hard all week. And then Sunday kicks off...cricket! I learned the rules and how to bowl (re: pitch) on Monday, and today we're supposed to have our first real training session (fingers crossed!). I'm pretty excited about it myself....

1 comment:

Benfits of Blogging said...

I wish I was getting to spend so much time in the sun!!! & too bad I'm not there to compete in the intercollegiate cup! With all the swimming I've been doing, I would rock that competition!